Sri Lanka is one of those places that will leave you with a constant smile on your face.
You'll struggle to find a friendlier and more welcoming people than Sri Lankans on your travels. One of the biggest problems you'll face is convincing your hosts that you are genuinely full and can't eat any more of their delicious food!
Add to this some wild beaches, incredible wildlife and some beautiful cultural experiences and you have a destination that ticks all the boxes.
- Top Tip: Before arriving, download the app "Pick Me". This is the Uber of Sri Lanka and can get you the best prices on even tuk-tuks! You can use it to travel a few hundred metres or even 200km.
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee
- Visa: Many countries can get a visa on arrival for thirty days, but it is cheaper (and easier) to organise online prior to arrival. You can extend this visa, but it is a painful experience.
- Safety: Sri Lanka is a very safe place for travel.
- When to go: We visited in June/July and found it to be brilliant. We had a short rain shower every other day (never more than 20 minutes and mainly overnight) and found that we were the only people staying in most hotels!
- Peak Season: November - March
- Off Season: April - August
- Walk My World Cost Index: $$ - Sri Lanka in off-season was very cheap, but this may change at peak times. We were able to find really good hotels for less than $30 USD per night. It's not as cheap as India, but it's not far off.