A trip to New Zealand really is a trip to Middle Earth
Anyone who visits New Zealand quite quickly understands just why they filmed Lord of The Rings here. It's a country that has landscapes that makes you pinch yourself to check you're not dreaming.
It may be small, but it packs a punch with epic mountains, glaciers, wild volcanoes and wild beaches that make you feel you're in on a secret.
- Top Tip: If you're looking to do any of the Great Walks, book on the day they go on sale. Tracks like the Milford, Routeburn and Kepler can sell out for a whole year, very quickly.
- Visa: New Zealand's visa can be granted on arrival, but requires proof of an outbound ticket. Visas are granted for three to six months.
- When to go: New Zealand can be visited all year round, but things like the Great Walks in Fiordland are almost impossible in the winter.
- Peak Season: November - January
- Off Season: June - August
- Walk My World Cost Index: $$$$ - New Zealand isn't cheap, with the average cost of even cheap accommodation exceeding $100 per night.