A trip to New Zealand really is a trip to Middle Earth
Anyone who visits New Zealand quite quickly understands just why they filmed Lord of The Rings here. It's a country that has landscapes that makes you pinch yourself to check you're not dreaming.
It may be small, but it packs a punch with epic mountains, glaciers, wild volcanoes and wild beaches that make you feel you're in on a secret.
- Top Tip: If you're looking to do any of the Great Walks, book on the day they go on sale. Tracks like the Milford, Routeburn and Kepler can sell out for a whole year, very quickly.
- Currency: New Zealand Dollars
- Visa: New Zealand's visa can be granted on arrival, but requires proof of an outbound ticket. Visas are granted for three to six months.
- Safety: New Zealand is as safe as it gets.
- When to go: New Zealand can be visited all year round, but things like the Great Walks in Fiordland are almost impossible in the winter.
- Peak Season: November - January
- Off Season: June - August
- Walk My World Cost Index: $$$$ - New Zealand isn't cheap, with the average cost of even cheap accommodation exceeding $100 per night.
Must-See New Zealand
The Great Walks of New Zealand
The Milford Track
The Kepler Track
The Rakiura Track
The Abel Tasman Coast Track
The Heaphy Track
The Whanganui Journey
The Tongariro Northern Circuit