Having suffered for so many years, Cambodia has made a comeback and is a traveller's favourite.
With a vibrant culture, ancient history and some of the best beaches in South-East Asia, it is no wonder that Cambodia is seeing a tourism boom. Cut off from the world for so many years under the reign of the Khmer Rouge, this beautiful country certainly remembers what happened but doesn't let it dampen their optimism for the future.
Most people head to Cambodia to see the awe-inspiring Angkor Wat. However, those who stay a little longer will get to experience so much more.
- Top Tip: When visiting Angkor, stay longer than a day and visit the lesser known temples. Here you'll see some incredible places without the crowds.
- Currency: Cambodian Riel (but most places use US Dollars).
- Visa: Most nationalities can get a visa on arrival for 30 days.
- Safety: On the whole Cambodia is safe. However, there has been a rise in bag-snatching on motorbikes (something that can be dangerous) and pick pocketing.
- When to go: Cambodia is always hot and humid, but just before the rainy season is pretty unbearable. We'd recommend the winter (avoiding public and Christmas holidays).
- Peak Season: November - February (Christmas inparticular)
- Off Peak Season: June - August
- Walk My World Cost Index: $$ - Cambodia is a very cheap for travel, and you can live comfortably on a small budget.